Thursday 3 April 2014

Keeping the Faith

If my time at Kings has taught me anything,  it is to be open-minded to all aspects of life. Throughout my life, I have met friends with many different religious backgrounds. Some of my most interesting conversations have comes from discussing beliefs, and what started a certain belief. I may not believe in a certain aspect a friend is sharing with me, but I would never outright say that my belief is somehow more valid than theirs. Today I agreed to do a survey, that somebody asked me to do at the Kings crosswalk. I assumed it was for a thesis, or a collection of data for a final project, so I agreed. I was the questions begin, they asked about my religious beliefs, and I answered truthfully that I wasn't really sure where I stood and a lot of matters. They seemed accepting of this answer, until they handed me a phamplet, which contained Bible verses in which they said I would be saved. They said they would pray for me, because I still had to realize that God was the only way. If I continued to live the misguided life, I would surely go to hell. I respect those who have the meaning in their lives that helps them positively move forward, but I do not consider the experience I had today positive. It's okay to not know what you believe, but it is not okay to put one belief above all others. If I did that, I would miss out on the most deep conversations, with some of my devout Christian friends. I would not care to wish my Muslim friends happy Ramadan and happy Eid. Even just by attending Kings, I have discovered that the world has wonderful people in it, and the world should be open to many different perspectives. Regardless of what we do or do not follow, we are all only here for a short time, so if anything, we should have faith in each other.

Karli



My friend Matthew, who I have some of my most deep and rewarding conversations with!

No comments:

Post a Comment