Sunday 8 June 2014

Escape

I've spent most of today re-reading Game of Thrones. Ever since I can remember, my favourite genre of reading has been fantasy. I think it's because when I was younger, I felt so different, and it was a welcome escape to get lost in the pages of books like Harry Potter, in a world outside my own. After reading Harry Potter many times over, I always found myself constantly asking the same question: "Why are there no disabled characters?" At first approach to this question, I forced myself to swallow the idea "magic heals all". However, that doesn't sit well with me anymore, so I have resolved to write JK Rowling and ask myself. It may be a long shot, but worth a try!

Game of Thrones is a different story. I love the complexity of the plot and characters. I love that the disabled/different people are still prominent figures. Bran and Tyrion are my absolute favourite characters, because in spite of their "flaws" they find ways to rise above them. Though it is fantasy, I can relate to their drive. When I turn the pages, I feel like I'm greeting friends. I feel like I don't have to go too far outside of myself to escape…

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment