Wednesday 25 June 2014

Go Forward

Yesterday was the 18th anniversary of my Nanny's death. It is usually custom for me to be sad and lamenting, but I did not have time for sadness yesterday. Thanks to my friend Kayla and her new puppy Cola, I was in good company. It was so good to have someone to talk to about anything and everything, and snuggling with a cute baby furball was a bonus.

I always enjoy talking with Kayla because she offers a different perspective being a student like me, but also a student juggling the demands of Type 1 Diabetes. Our conversation was interesting yesterday, because we were able to draw similarities  and contrasts between diabetes and aspects of 
living with a disability. Sometimes I feel bad, because I worry that I am asking ridiculously stupid question, but regardless it is a learning experience for the both of us. The funny thing about life is, that when you picture someone  inspiring, or someone that you look up to, you never picture yourself. Ever since meeting Kayla in college, she has been someone that I have silently looked up to. She inspired me to write my blog, as she maintains her own to do with daily life and diabetes.

My biggest concern yesterday, was that I may not have passed my summer course. This was not for a lack of attending the course, as I only ever missed one or two classes, but it was evident that the course was a struggle for everyone, and I wasn't sure how I would do. It was nice to have Kayla there, to sort of pull me back down to earth, and remind me of how much I've accomplished in spite of all my obvious obstacles.

As it turns out, I had no need to worry after all! I have successfully completed a BA in English! As hard as the road has been, and as much as I spent so much time missing my Nanny in all of these 18 years, I was happy yesterday to have somebody to remind me to keep going forward, and to never doubt myself! I know that if my Nanny were still here, she'd tell me to do the very same thing!

Karli





No comments:

Post a Comment