Tuesday 10 June 2014

The House of Blue

In my final years of high school, principal Paul McKenzie drove home the importance of community. I remember, that each student got a coloured shirt that corresponded with the alphabetical order of their last names. I remember a speech, emphasizing that we were part of a larger whole, and our goal was to make our school and community proud. We were a family.

I did my part as best I could, while I was a member of PCI. I was a good student, who got decent grades, and a strong advocate in the form of disability. I remember when I got a ramp for the courtyard, so that students in wheelchairs could also access the area. I felt a great sense of pride, not only knowing that I had achieved something for myself, but also for many students after me. When I graduated Parkside, I thought that I had done all I could for my former school. I climbed the ladder in the stages of life.

However, though I  had done my part, my family stayed with me. Every step of the way, I have had continuous support from my old high school teachers. Whether it be an introductotion to Starbucks, (thank you Mr. Lukings), baked good deliveries, coffee dates, early graduation dinners, and general inquiries about my well-being, it has all played a part in my success. When Mr. McKenzie first stressed the importance of the community, I had no idea that I would still be feeling the effects, and seeing the importance today. I have never been so honoured and glad to call myself a part of the House of Blue.

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment