Monday 3 February 2014

Coming Up Short

It's been a long time since I've written anything, and for that I apologize…

On Monday I spent my days on main campus, with a class in the social science building from 1230 to 230. It's not much better than when the class was located in the university college building. Aside from the building being an absolute maze, or the obstacles of any sort imaginable, I find that sitting in a wheelchair means even more obstacles getting around The most frustrating thing I find about the social science building as well as the UCC, is that the elevator doors close too quickly. If I am surrounded by a crowd of people, I get several reactions: friendly passerby, will help me avoid the elevator door crashing into my wheelchair, whereas in the other case of person will just look on my struggle to merely enter the elevator, and look at you with me with the eyes of pity, or otherwise as a source of enjoyment. When it comes to the latter case, I can assure you that it wasn't my intention to be asource of amusement, I am just trying to get to class! When I finally manage to make it into the elevator, unscathed or not, I find that I am too short to reach the buttons. It takes me a good 5 to 10 minutes just to angle myself in the right position to reach the butt sometimes, and that's frustrating because even with my tilt feature I can barely reach it. In the ideal world, there would be a stick in every elevator which a person of short stature could reach to help them and pushing the buttons, but I am unsure of who to ask. At Western and Kings alike, I have trouble also locating the wheelchair accessible buttons. Sometimes they are in a really convenient place, easy to find and easy to reach, but other times they are not. I believe, that I should not have to look around every single corner trying to guess where it is located, and I wish that more sense was behind where they are placed. I know I am lucky that Western is accessible at all, but sometimes I feel like they missed the mark. It would be nice not to be reminded at least once a week, that I am not as tall as I feel…

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment