Tuesday 11 February 2014

Kill it with Kindness

Today was an interesting day. Because I don't have my half course anymore, I was originally content hiding out in the corner and playing video games. Thankfully I ran into my friend Maryam, and she convinced me to join her at a mental health awareness presentation There we learned about the services offered in our community as well as Kings itself. Though every presentation had informative content, something about the Kings presentation stuck with me. The presenters said that the media had trained us to focus on the negatives of the world. In the news the negatives always outweigh the positive and because we are always subjected to that our minds do the same thing. He advised that we find our balance, no matter how stressful or busy life gets, there is always time to do something positive for yourself or others. So today I did just that. There has been the crazy trend of "neknominations" going around the Internet, where people are dared to drink insane amount of alcohol which has led to four separate deaths due to alcohol poisoning. I personally do not think that any dinner ever is worth risking your life, so I killed it with kindness. I posted on Saturday about how the custodial staff at Kings have done a lot to help me out. So today I returned the favour and bought the 12 donuts to share amongst the staff. To see their faces with sudden surprise was really good, and it made me feel better about all the stresses I've been facing in the last little while. I think that I could get used to paying it forward for myself or others, and hopefully remain positive. It certainly helped having my friend Matt who helped record it, because I couldn't have asked for a better person to share the moment with. I encourage all of my friends, and readers to start doing the same, a little positivity goes a long way.

Karli





No comments:

Post a Comment