Wednesday 28 January 2015

Why Walk When you can Fly

In my first year of university, I struggled with many challenges. I was very aware of my differences, and having no one go through University before me, I thought that even though I had made it, I might not finish.

I remember when the first wave of essays and exams hit, and for some reason my computer kept crashing. I went to the library with hopes of putting a dent in my work, but I ended up having a meltdown instead. Someone who I had just recently met,  found me in the corner close to tears. She dragged me out of the library, and into a deserted room. 

That moment was a changing day for me, because not only did she let me sob incoherently into her sweater, but she also listened to my concerns, and told me that no problem was too big or too small for somebody to listen and care. She even came over that weekend to help me catch up on my papers. A few days later, I found the attached video in my mailbox.

I had the good sense to save the video for a rainy day, because I knew that there would be more rough times ahead. Sure enough, there was, and there will be, but I made it 

I decided to share this video, and this story today because it is a big day in regards to  Bell Canada and raising awareness for mental health, and just like my friend said, no problem is too big or too small for somebody to listen. Just opening up to conversation can change somebody's attitude and perspective for the better. 

I never really thanked her for her unwavering support in my years of university, but I hope she knows how much I love her and appreciate herfor that, and every day I've  known her since.



No comments:

Post a Comment