Friday 13 February 2015

Not "Why?" but "What?"

I've had a rough time with being forgotten by the company that is supposed to help me live independently. When you are stuck in bed waiting for help to arrive, it is so easy to ask: "Why do I have to rely on others?" "Why can't I just help myself?

Later in the day, I had agreed to speak at my friend Kayla's diabetic support group. I was feeling so far from inspirational, that I almost didn't go. Sometimes it feels like I have DISABLED tattooed across my forehead, and it's the only thing I can see. 

I went anyway, and said honestly that my day was awful. It was the best thing I could have done; because not everyone has good days, and sometimes the real thing says more than fluffed up reasons I'm awesome…

I shared that my biggest question as a kid was WHY?, but as I'm facing the world I've come to realize the bigger question is WHAT? We go through hard things with disabilities, diabetes and many other things, but what do we do in spite of it…

Karli


No comments:

Post a Comment