Sunday 27 November 2011

Oblivious to Accessibility

So i haven't written in awhile… but today there's lots to say! I went to the King's Ball with my friends on November 18th. It was a good time, except that everybody left early to go to the after party at Frog. Unfortunately it was not accessible to me, so I had no choice but to go home early. You might be thinking that I could have chosen another bar, but in all honesty I would much prefer a good time in the company of good friends and colleagues!

It doesn't end there either I wanted to go to UWO's 12 bars of Xmas but a good portion of the bars are not wheelchair friendly. There was a nice girl organizing the event who called all the bars to see which ones I could get into. A lot of the bars said they had no problem carrying me up the stairs or that they had a back way in. However, what most people don't understand is that I may have a way in but, that is not the only aspect of wheelchair accessibility that hinders me! I have to have space to move around or at least not feel like a big and bulky eye sore crammed into the corner of a room.

I realize that the 12 bars of Christmas is not organized by the student council, so I have no problem make my own festivities. However when it comes to events like the King's Ball it should go without saying that a school that takes pride in community involvement should make sure that none of their students are excluded from their own planned activities.

Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment