Saturday 21 January 2012

Inspiration?

Last night I stayed at King's to hear Luca Lazylegz Patuelli speak and perform a breakdancing show.  I found his show was amazing.  He told us about all the obstacles he had faced on the way to becoming a professional breakdancer. He was born with Arthrogryposis, which affects the muscles and bones in his legs, making them tight and hard to move.  He has had over 16 correctional surgeries, and was told by doctors that he would be confined to a wheelchair.  Yet, yesterday there he stood with crutches and the ability to take a few steps without them.  It was very inspiring for me to meet someone with a disability, who had reached their dream and even surpassed it.

One of my friends told me that I was just as inspiring as him.  Though I was flattered, I can honestly say that I've never thought myself to be inspiring at all.  Yes, I have struggled through a lot to get to King's and yes I am the first person in my family to go to university, but I've never stopped and said that those were amazing things.  I just continued because it felt like the right thing to do.  Isn't it funny how you can so easily find something inspiring in others, but are so hesitant to see the same in yourself?

Maybe I should give myself more credit, but it's not as easy as it seems...



Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment