Wednesday 18 January 2012

Scare Tactics

Have you ever had that ONE teacher who just scared the shit out of you? Making you feel like nothing you do is right? Until just recently, that was me. Yesterday I had 2 hours of English 1020, which is basically an introduction, mixed with (much to my displeasure) a crap-load of poetry analysis.  The professor was not happy with the class average of 66%, so she started the class with a lecture.  She essentially said that if our marks continued like this we would not make it in the real world.  She even went as far as to say that with our standards right now, we didn't deserve degrees.  After the incident I mentioned in my last post, this made me laugh.  Compared to last Monday, this professor's criticism was as nice as getting roses.



I didn't take it as an insult, because everything she said was true.  Until recently, I would have said that the professor was out to get us and blame it on something like being sick.  The truth is, we do get sick and we do have bad days.  However, we can no longer blame poor performance on sickness among other things.  The funny thing is that the professor kept telling us that she didn't care what happened to us.  However, I think deep down, in some twisted way she did.  Maybe it wasn't because she cares about us all individually, but good grades look good on her.  Secretly, I think she's hoping that we all pass; so when it comes to fourth year she will have people to invite to her Christmas parties.  Students need teachers, and teachers need students.  The scare tactics are a teacher's way of secretly expressing that they care.  In my opinion, I prefer them more than being told I can't have a notetaker.  Instead of bitching about how rude and unfair her judgment was, I choose to rise to the challenge and blow her away.



Chuck Norris, I mean...





Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment