Saturday 18 February 2012

WoMan's Best Friend

This week my blogs will be a little less school related, due to being on break.

For as long as long as I can remember, dogs have played an important role in my life. If you think about it, they never judge you and don't care where you came from or who you are, just as long as you return the love they give to you! Dogs have been a source of comfort for me in everthing from recovering from surgery to just being the listening ear when no one else is around to hear. To me, they are very theraputic, and there are none more loyal. So it was fitting that my break started with my friend Jess brought her  new puppy Osie for a litte visit. Everytime my friends bring over their dogs, it's like a vacation from stress. The fluffy golden furball helped everything be forgotten, with just a cuddle on my lap.

I love dogs so much, that ever since childhood I've fantasized about having a service dog to help me. It always fascinated me that dogs could be trained to be even more helpful than they are in the most basic sense. It would save me so much trouble to have one; opening doors, picking up fallen items, getting help I was stuck, and possibly helping with transfers (though I don't know if that would work because I have difficultly weight bearing). I have always thought it would be beneficial to have one in the school setting; however the training is very time consuming, and it's important to keep as consistent as possible to ensure they maintain the commands and procedures taught. As my own routine as a university student is far from consistent, and the dogs cost upwards of $15,000, I would rather wait until things settle down before I look into one. For now, I'm content with visits from friends and their pets, but I look forward to the day when I can finally have my very own WoMan's best friend

No comments:

Post a Comment